Alfredo Primavera comes from a well known family of violin makers; his grandfather Giuseppe was originally from Abruzzo in Italy. The family emigrated to the United States at the beginning of the twentieth century and founded the House of Primavera in Philadelphia. His father Adolfo was born in Philadelphia in 1930. Alfredo, born in 1954, frequented his grandfather's and father's workshop growing up. When he was thirteen he began studying violin making under his father. In 1972 he moved to Cremona to attend the International Violinmaking School where he was a pupil of the masters Pietro Sgarabotto and G.B. Morassi. He graduated in 1975 and after working for two years in Capellini workshop, he opened his own workshop in 1977. His instruments are characterized by their meticulous traditional work and fine acoustical qualities.